Saturday, July 17, 2010

Grandma Fifi

Christmas 2006 - Holding Z (6 months ) and Cousin S (3 months)


The minister who performed the funeral said that Grandma Fifi was a quiet "salt of the earth" kind of person who just went about life without making waves. I don't think he could have been more wrong.

On June 25, Mark's grandma died. And let me tell you about the real Grandma Fifi. No , her name wasn't Fifi, it was Elda. She earned the name by being pulled on stage at the Renaissance Festival as Fifi the French maid and it stuck. Cousin S, who was just a toddler at the time started calling her Grandma Fifi and all the other great grandkids did too. And it fit. She could be goofy. She felt the only foods you needed in your kitchen were popcorn and ice cream. She was gifted at knitting and cross stitch and loved just about any form of art. And what I liked best about her was her spunk. She was stubborn at times too and from what I can see, all her great granddaughters take after her just a little, if not a lot.

She lived to a ripe old age, she lived long enough to see her grandchildren grow up and get married and she got to hold and enjoy all 10 of her great grandchildren. May we all be so lucky. I'm happy my kids got to know her and that Z will have memories of her.

And should we ever think we'll forget her, all we have to do is look at the her sassy great granddaughters that look and act like her to remember that she was anything but quiet and ordinary.

2 comments:

Peggy said...

Jenelle
Thanks for the wonderful words about Mom. You got her! It made me cry when I read it. Thanks, this is why I love you.

Peggy

Liz said...

Yes, may we all be so lucky...

Hugs!!